2011APRAnominees–AustCopyrightLaws–RadioListeningHabits–Gibson&theEnvironment

Monday 17 October 2011

The 2011 ARIA award nominees have been announced.

Timothy Nelson has taken out the West Australian Music Industry Association's 2011 Song Of The Year award with his song "Speak The Truth In Love".

The Federal Government has announced plans to update Australian copyright laws, to cope with the explosion of material published on the internet. It is proposing to broaden definitions within the Copyright Amendment Act 2006, extending its remit to material published on internet search engines.

The amount of time people spend listening to radio has dropped significantly since 2004. The national figure fell from an average of 15.5 hours a week listening to radio seven years ago to 12 hours in the year to June.

Iconic US guitar maker Gibson is facing a criminal probe over claims it broke environmental laws while importing wood. Federal agents raided Gibson's Nashville and Memphis premises, seizing shipments of Indian rosewood. The agents had search warrants issued amid suspicions that Gibson had violated the terms of the Lacey Act, an environmental law that requires imports to the US to comply with laws in the country of origin as well.

Anniversaries: B: 1801. Albert Lortzing, German composer (d. 1851); 1811. Franz Liszt, Hungarian pianist and composer (d. 1886); 1921. Sir Malcolm Arnold, British composer (d. 2006); D: 1991. Lorenc Antoni, Kosovo Albanian composer (b. 1909).

Arts&HealthFoundationAward–EMIacquisition–NationalCulturalPolicy–MelbourneFestival–MusiciansMarketingTools

Monday 10 October 2011

An Arts & Health Foundation Award has been made to The West Australian Music Industry Association (WAM)at the 2011 Australia Business Arts Foundation (AbaF) Western Australia awards ceremony. Celebrating best practice connections between the arts and business, the AbaF Arts & Health Foundation Award recognises partnerships between healthcare and arts organisations that improve health and wellbeing. State winners also become finalists at the national ceremony, to be held in Perth for the first time Tuesday 11 October.

Read more: Arts&HealthFoundationAward–EMIacquisition–NationalCulturalPolicy–MelbourneFestival–MusiciansMarketin...

DeadlyAwards–KimWilliams–SunYat-senOpera–MilitaryReserveBands–ScienceOfSingalongSongs

Monday 3 October 2011

Jessica Mauboy has added another Deadly gong to her collection after she was named Female Artist of the Year at the Sydney indigenous awards ceremony. The former Australian Idol contestant took out the award at the annual Deadly Awards, held in Sydney Opera House last week. Fellow singer Gurrumul Yunupingu was a double winner - taking both Male Artist of the Year and Album of the Year for 'Rrakala.

Read more: DeadlyAwards–KimWilliams–SunYat-senOpera–MilitaryReserveBands–ScienceOfSingalongSongs

LiveMusicStats–MusiciansHearing–AirNet–ProfessionalLearningFlagshipProgram–ValeStanfield

Monday 19 September 2011

Figures released today show small live music venues contribute $1.2 billion a year to the national economy. 3904 venues employ 14,806 full-time equivalent positions and generate $651.9m in wages. Only 16.7 per cent of revenue at the surveyed pubs, clubs, restaurants, bars and nightclubs where live music is performed is derived from ticket sales, with the remaining 83.3 per cent coming from food and drink sales–figures which bolster the case for a proportion of the funds raised through the federal alcohol excise to be channeled to live performers.

Read more: LiveMusicStats–MusiciansHearing–AirNet–ProfessionalLearningFlagshipProgram–ValeStanfield