NB: Links to external websites appear in a new Window or Tab, depending on your browser settings.
Pre-Python basics with UNIX
On OSX machines, the Unix* operating system is accessed via the Terminal program which can be found in the Applications/Utilities folder.
- Reduced UNIX command set
- Some (more) basic UNIX shell commands
- Basic vi command-line editor commands
- The vi command-line editor For the hackers…
- Dive Into Python A little more in-depth, topic-oriented. Contains references to other related work, cookbooks etc.
- Python Cheat Sheets
- CS for All A general reference for learning the basics of computer science, using python.
Project Development Tools
- A Python Interactive Development Environment (IDE). For the sake of consistency and flexibility, we use
- PyCharm Community Edition (Links to the downloadable for the Community Edition)
- Spyder-IDE is nice and comes with an Ipython (interactive python) interface. I get confused by the detachable windows and find I use the return to default window setting (menu: View/Reset window layout) far too often 🙂 . I think it still comes with the Condo Python distribution.
- Textwrangler for quick hacks. Now incorporated in BBEdit. Beware of OS version restrictions.
- Vi / ViM for even quicker hacks. VIM is included in most UNIX OS including Apples OS-X.
- vinta/awesome-pythonA curated list of awesome Python frameworks, libraries, software and resources. If you know what you're looking for, go to the awesome github repository.
- Python packages for audio.
- Supriya. A Python 3 API for Supercollider (watch this new development)
- (sub-component of Python for Engineers, below)
- Python for engineers Contains sub-component, Audio and DSP in Python
- Is easy to install and maintain. I'm using the Python 2.7 but slowly migrating code to 3.5.
- Can be installed independent of any OS system python, including onto an external device.
- The Distribution version is free, with an Enterprise version available.
- The Csound Python API can be build with it.
- Contains over 1000+ packages, including Numpy and matplotlib as well as many data-oriented tools. Package List for various platforms.
- Uses Conda for Package Package, dependency and environment management
- Everything just works!